Saturday, May 5, 2012

My trip to the Dead Sea,the lowest part of the earth

I got up early morning as I was so excited to have this guided tour paid my boss as a gift for the good service I rendered for his mother. The meeting place was at the hotel down near Kiryat Moshe,Jerusalem where I used to work. Since the hotel is located a few blocks down  I descended till I reached the hotel. I went down early because I didn't want to miss the tour. I was so excited!

The trip included Mount of Olives, Masada and the Dead Sea. We first went to the Mount of Olives. It is a fantastic view. Mount of Olive is well known in the Bible as the place where Jesus was last seen and ascended to heaven. This is the best place to stop and stand  if you want to see the New Jerusalem and the Old city of Jerusalem and to see the valleys near the old city. In between the Mount of Olive and the Old city of Jerusalem, there is an old cemetery where in, according to the Jewish or Israelis, the Matriach and the Patriach were laid to rest. After  a few shots of the cam,  the driver and our tour guide at the same time called us on board for another trip and this time to Masada.

To go to Masada we must  pass the same road going to the Dead Sea. Along the way we stopped at the nearest mall. At the backyard there was one big cute camel for ride. Of course it was not for free. Hence I have the rare opportunity to see a camel personally and at the same time the chance to ride so this time I made sure to do it.. OMG! It was fun!! After few minutes we were called to proceed to our journey.

The driver preferred to bring us first to Masada, this is a place on top of a mountain and located south of the Dead Sea and around 20-minute drive by bus. The only way to go there is by cable car. Just wondering how the ancient people were able to live and brought their things up there. As we did in the Mount of Olive, after more than two hours on top of the mountain and several cam clicks, the guide called us to board into our bus.

Then time to head to the Dead Sea. I didn't know that part of the trip was to go to the SPA at the Dead Sea Beach. I didn't bring anything except what I was wearing.In this trip, I met Magda Cracknell from South Africa and we became friends.She's an awesome woman, kind and beautiful. And we went together all along and talked together. We became friends and for this reason we shared the locker for our belongings.

It was fun swimming with Magda and with the other tourists boarded in our bus. It was an early summer and so many tourists both locals and foreigners. The Dead Sea is 10x saltier than the other seas. The excessive saltiness of the water cause a person to float but just be careful to accidentally put water in the eyes. And we just enjoyed the sea. Because I don't know  how to swim, I always shared the floating tire and I thank God I just floated automatically too.

Our time was limited and the guide told us to leave at around 3 pm so we can arrive in Jerusalem at 5 pm. Every one rushed into our respective lockers. Magda was fine and easily changed her clothes after rinsing but I got a big problem!!  I was not able to find my legging. Problem because I didn't have the extra clothes to wear. The time was almost close to go on board so I asked Magda to buy me a legging from the shop up there. Thank God! She was able to find one for me because she said there were only two to choose from. This friend of mine saved me from shame as I can't walk along the road of Jerusalem with just a towel on.  Kiryat Moshe where I was staying  is  a mixed neighborhood of  the secular, modern orthodox and the haredim. But this trip is a fantastic one with lots of memories and a friendship that made.

No comments:

Post a Comment