Sunday, May 6, 2012

I am forced to drive

Caaringayan is one of the twenty barangays of our small town of Laoac. This town is the youngest in the Philippines and it was taken from the municipality of Manaoag. Laoac was formerly the biggest barangay of Manaoag. Since this barangay rendered the biggest revenue to the municpality of Manaoag,  the residents
suggested to make this as a town. The current mayor by that time paid attention and exerted every effort for the approval for this barangay to become a  town. And in the year of 1981, after  long  so much works and proofs that this barangay is qualified,  Laoac began to be a town.

My barangay is just a a kilometer away from the town proper. The means of transportation are both private and public vehicles. But since people began to buy motor bikes, tricycles become scarce to pass by. Tricycle is the only means of public transportation in our community. This type of vehicle can only accommodate 6 passengers plus the driver.This is the reason that I was forced to buy a motorbike so I have my own transportation when I need to go to church or to do some errands.

At first I was a bit scared to drive because my motor is quite big and heavy compared to my height . I fell down a couple of times. These incidents caused my fear and embarrassment because one Sunday, I was just learning to drive alone, I was on my way going to our church for the Sunday Service. I was at the intersection and waiting my way to cleared. I must be alert of the vehicles coming on both sides and also from my back.When I thought everything was clear, I started to accelerate, unknowingly there was a motor coming from my left and I also should turn left. I was afraid to be hit so I braked suddenly that caused me to fall down.Shamed, because I was in a skirt as our church required all the leaders and workers to dress modestly for the service. But I must conquer my fear because I need to drive alone as I must go to our Sunday service and other church activities.

As time passes by I am learning the technique of two-wheeled driving. And I enjoy driving every time I go out. Still, no matter how experienced driver a person is, I  must learn to be cautious and alert all the time because I only have one life.

No comments:

Post a Comment